Renovating your Home with Plasti-Fab Continuous Insulation
Renovating your home? Let’s talk exterior sheathing. People are always looking at different ways to increase their energy efficiency and decrease their energy costs. So what do they do? Replace windows and doors. Well that’s a great start, but what about all that space between your windows and doors? Your walls? How much energy is leaving through your walls every day? My parents were always after me as a kid to shut the door and “stop air conditioning the outside!” In reality though, you could be losing up to 33% of your heating and cooling through your walls every day. So how do we fix this? Well this is where PlastiSpan insulation saves the day. It is more cost effective and time effective to increase your R-Value above grade by going from the outside in then from the inside out. Wait what? Do you already have siding on your home or building? Here are some steps you can take:
1. Check your local building code; see what they have for rules, requirements and restrictions. This will save you problems later on
2. Figure out if you are eligible for any provincial or federal rebates and see if there are any requirements like a “blower door test” or an energy audit so you are able to show what you currently have and they can see the changes.
SPECIAL NOTE: The Canadian government has introduced the EcoEnergy Retrofit program and they have a frequently asked questions page that I found really helpful. http://www.actionplan.gc.ca/eng/feature.asp?mode=preview&pageId=240 I definitely recommend you check it out.
***It’s important that you read the rules before you make an investment expecting to get money back. The rules are fairly clear and I know I’d want my $5000***
3. Now let’s get down to work. Once you have everything figured out for your rebate and building codes we need to buy the rigid insulation to increase your energy efficiency and decrease your costs. Your obvious choice of rigid insulation would be one of the following; PlastiSpan, PlastiSpan HD or Durofoam.
4. Let me tell you why:
a. PlastiSpan has the lowest cost/R-Value for rigid insulation
b. PlastiSpan HD is also a more cost effective product then other rigid insulations. It gives you a slightly higher R-Value than PlastiSpan too.
c. DuroFoam is an ideal product for sheathing because it has been laminated on both sides, one with a green film and one with a silver one
**You can install DuroFoam insulation with either side facing out. It is merely your preference.**
5. Once you’ve removed all your existing siding you need to plan out the joints. Apply one of the PlastiSpan insulation products over the exterior of the wood framing. All vertical edges of the PlastiSpan insulation need to be butted tightly together over stud locations for adequate support.
6. Here is an important step! Make sure you are using the correct fasteners. PlastiSpan Insulation must be fastened to framing using fasteners with heads or washers at least ½” diameter where the cladding with be applied directly against the insulation. Fasteners with heads or washers at least 1” in diameter must be used where an air space will exist between the PlastiSpan insulation and the cladding. (The fasteners are usually a nail with a green washer around it)
7. A sheathing membrane is not required if all joints between the PlastiSpan insulation and all openings in the wall are taped using a sheathing tape to seal them.
8. Now to install your exterior cladding. Cladding must be attached to the wood framing members so they need to be long enough to penetrate through the PlastiSpan insulation and at least 1” into the wood framing.
9. This should finish off the exterior of your house, new doors, new windows and by using PlastiSpan under your sheathing will make a huge difference on your energy bills every month and then both Federal and Provincial governments will give you money for making these changes. It’s a win win situation.
By the way, don’t forget below grade insulation. Check out our Below grade insulation blog here.
Let me know how it works out for you and how much money you are getting back!